published in the Farmville Enterprise, December 15, 1916 and reported by A.F. Eason
New Road to Greenville Completed
The new road leading from the Wilson county line through town to Greenville, N.C. built by the Johnson, Porter, and Peck Co., adds very much to the looks of our town.
Her many friends will regret to learn that Miss Mary Ferrell, the efficient milliner of the Owens Millinery Co. will leave for her home Saturday. Miss Ferrell has been with the Owens Millinery Co. for the past two seasons and during her stay here has won many friends.
Rev. H.F. Morton, pastor of the Presbyterian Church, held his regular services here Sunday a.m., a large crowd attending.
Prof. and Mrs. Hoke, of the faculty of the Macclesfield High School, spent the week end near here, the guests of Mr. and Mrs. A.T. Smith.
Miss Bessie Lewis, of Macclesfield, was in town a short while Sunday, accompanied by her brother, Mr. Rufus Lewis.
Miss Gladys Wallace, formerly principal of Eagles’ school, near here, but now a member of the faculty of the Kenly High School spent the week-end here the guest of Dr. and Mrs. E.B. Beasley. Of course, “k. [?]” was in town also.
Mr. J.A. Mercer and Miss Lillian Gardner spent Sunday p.m. out of town.
The reporter, after having spent the past six months in the western part of the state for his health, returned home Saturday night, and was surprised at the many improvements which have taken place during his absence.
Fountain & Co., under the able supervision of Mr. R.J. Proctor, contractor, of Nashville, N.C. are building a handsome store on the lot on which their old store stood, while R.A. Gardner & Co. are already making ready to have Mr. Proctor build them a handsome store also.
Several residences have been erected during the past few months, and these, and other improvements, add very much to the beauty of our town.