R.A. Fountain, General Store, is a relic from the rural American small town past that comes to life every Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and 4 or 5 times a month for concerts of acoustic Carolina music.
Visit us on Facebook.
Watch some of our acts perform on our YouTube channels: Fountain General Store, which is where our newest videos are posted, and R.A. Fountain, a site we can no longer edit.
< Makers of those great orange- and lemonades (and sometimes a limeade), Julia Smith on the left, and Elizabeth Albright.
They are also admins for Friends of Town of Fountain’s Facebook.
• • •
When it opened for business in 1917, this was the second largest business building in Pitt County, boasting over 14,000 square feet of floor space, a figure that includes what became known as the Smith-Yelverton building: the two are basically twin constructions with a common firewall between them. It was constructed with bricks that were made on site and included two hand-pulled elevators and ceiling-to-floor stocking ladders that ran the length of each wall. Lenwood Owens operated Owens Hardware here for many years, during most of which it was connected to Owens Grocery next door by a passageway since filled in. After the hardware business closed, Claude Nethercutt operated a toy manufacturing business that employed local artists to sculpt Disney characters that would then be used to make molds for constructing hollow plastic versions of Mickey, Donald and the crew. He dismantled the coffin room from the second floor and re-built it into what is currently the office at store’s front. After Nethercutt, Irvin Oakley ran a game room for a while and a local musician operated a practice room for his band and a recording studio on the second floor. During all this time, the R.A. Fountain building remained in the Fountain family, who offered it for sale in 2003 to its current owner, who had purchased the Smith-Yelverton building a few years prior.